Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bobs and beans.

It is a little known fact that I am a bean lover. That's right, I LOVE beans! Any kind. I'm talking green, pinto, lima (yes, even the most hated bean of all, the lima), kidney, white, garbanzo and navy. And all the others I missed. I just think they are a cheap, hearty, good eat... not to mention good for you. And as the rhyme goes, they are pretty magical to boot.

It is a yucky rainy day here in central Ah-hi-ya (Ohio you guys, c'mon!) and all I wanted for lunch was beans. Which, as it turns out, is really lucky because they are on the approved foods list that I can eat off of... let me back up. I started the South Beach diet a week and a half ago because I could no longer fit into my favorite jeans and it was just a drag. Plus, it's really just time to shed the winter layer of comfy warm blubber. Ok, so yeah, beans... I decided to take a drive down to the local Bob Evans and get some bean soup. It was amazing. I didn't even have to salt them. Or pepper them for that matter. They. were. perfect. Totally hit the spot on this rainy afternoon.

Ok, so, they is a certain crowd that dines at Bob Evans. No, I'm not talking about the cute little grannies with their rain-kerchiefs but they were there also. I'm talking about the work boot wearing, wangler jeans loving crowd. I swear, I could walk into a Bob Evans anywhere in the country and instantly be transported back to Gallia county. It's sweet, weird feeling... sorta homey. I like it.

It is also a reminder, for me, of the mining incident that happen in West Virgina this week. I have known people who have died in mining accidents and it is a terrible thing to go through. You often times have no body because either it couldn't be found or because it was found in pieces. My thoughts and prayers are with those families who are suffering with the loss of a loved one or who are distraught with worry wondering if their loved one is alive.

I don't think people realize that coal mining is such a risky and dangerous job, mainly because it doesn't directly effect us. We just enjoyed the benefits of this resource without ever thinking "Hey, I wonder how this got here?" I believe that these men, for the most part, love what they have chosen to do with their lives. Coal mining is unlike any other job anywhere. So thank you to all of you out there, choosing to go down, day after day and mine. Be safe and keep the faith.

No comments: